Lake Preservation Projects


Lake Preservation

 The Oliver and Martin Lakes Conservation and Improvement Association, Inc. (OMLCIA) takes its work seriously to preserve and improve our lakes and watersheds and to be responsible stewards of our natural resources. To that end, the Board of Directors has applied for, and been awarded, Lake and River Enhancement (LARE) grants for Oliver, Olin, and Martin Lakes. 

OMLCIA Receives  a $42,500 LARE Grant for Diagnostic Study of the Lakes - August 2008

 In January 2008, OMLCIA applied for a LARE grant with Indiana DNR to conduct a diagnostic study of Oliver, Olin, and Martin Lakes. In August 2008, the Association was awarded $42,500 to conduct this study, which included a 10% match by the Association either through in-kind donations or local funding. During the following year, J F New completed an extensive study of the lakes and published its final report October 16, 2009. This study marks the first comprehensive diagnostic study ever completed of Oliver, Olin, and Martin Lakes.  Click here to see a copy of the 2009 Diagnostic Study by JF New 

OMLCIA Receives  a $34,400 LARE Grant for Feasibility and Design Study - August 2011

 As a result of the J F New Diagnostic Study, the Association applied for another LARE grant to conduct an engineering feasibility and design study for Oliver, Olin, and Martin Lakes watersheds. In August 2011, the Indiana DNR informed OMLCIA that its application had been selected for FY 2011-2012 funding from the LARE program.

This grant covers 80% of the project costs up to a total amount of $34,400.00, with the remaining 20% to be paid by OMLCIA. Davey Resource Group in Fort Wayne, IN is conducting this study which will look at stream management, sediment and nutrient control, and the restoration of a former wetland. This project is expected to take one year.

OMLCIA Awarded LARE Grant: $17,720 for Aquatic Vegetation Management - March 2012

 OMLCIA has been approved for a LARE grant award for aquatic vegetation management in the amount of $17,720.00. The grant will cover up to 80% of the project cost up to a total of $17,720 with $7000 for development of the multi-lake aquatic weed management plan update, and $10,720 for treatment of 20 acres of Eurasian Watermilfoil and 8 acres of curly-leaf pondweed.  The grants must be used as described in the grant application with the remaining 20% of the cost to be paid by OMLCIA.  The Association has up to one year to complete this project. 

Customers have questions, you have answers. Display the most frequently asked questions, so everybody benefits.